Yesterday was Heyward's 11th Birthday. ELEVENTH!! WOW!! Where does the time go? She is officially a "tween". WOW.Yesterday started with Heyward coming to get in bed with us and Micajah following not far behind singing "Happy Birthday to you, you live in a zoo, you look like a monkey....." Well, you know the rest of that song - followed by phone calls from Mimi, Laci and Bami all before school. Jody was home so he and I went to school to eat lunch with Heyward. You wonder at what age mom and dad coming to school is no longer cool. I guess for a 5th grader it was still cool. I got several compliments on my purse while waiting in line and we were greeted with "Hey Heyward's mom and dad" as we went down the hall. I think Jody even got a Hi-5 from someone. Lunch was pretty good. Catfish nuggets, cheese grits, slaw, cornbread and baked beans. As we sat down, Heyward's grits dumped on the floor right next to her seat. Jody covered them with a napkin and before lunch was over, they had congealed enough that they came up in one glob. That's cool, huh?
Right before school got out, we went back up to the school and took cupcakes for Heyward's class. They were such good kids and SO well behaved. Things like that will give you reassurance that the future generation is NOT hopeless as the media would have you believe.
Our present to Heyward was some money AND a razor and shaving cream. She's been asking since summer to let her shave her legs - something I was not ready for. Anyway, I told her we would talk about it on her birthday so I went ahead and caved. She was SO excited and didn't even cut herself the first time - which is not what I could say for myself. Granted I think I was only about 8. I think the hardest part will be keeping the razor away from brother and sister. Maybe it won't be too much temptation.
Her birthday was capped off by the SWEETEST rendition I have ever heard of Happy Birthday. 2 year old cousin James called and left it on the answering machine. We listened to it several times last night and saved it to hear again today. ADORABLE!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment